Who doesn’t love the juicy, citrusy scent of a ripe orange? If you don’t have any fruit on hand, you can capture this unmistakable aroma in the form of orange essential oil. Like many other oils, it contains countless benefits and smells absolutely divine. Here are just a few of the reasons I love using orange essential oil in my products and in my everyday life.
Five Reasons Why I Love Orange Essential Oil
- It Fights Germs Naturally: Orange essential oil is a potent weapon against many of the bacteria that make us sick. In 2008, a study published in the Journal of Food Science reported that antimicrobial compounds found in orange oil can keep salmonella from spreading. Another study conducted in 2009 found that it is equally effective against E. coli. If you’re concerned about the impact these and other dangerous bacteria can have on your family’s health, consider making your own orange essential oil cleaning products .
- It Lifts My Spirits (and it Can Lift Yours Too): The scent of oranges makes me happy, but that’s not the only reason why this oil lifts my spirits. Components of orange oil have a direct impact on the part of your brain that processes scents. When you catch a whiff, you have an immediate emotional response, giving your spirits a natural lift. Orange oil can also help reduce the impact of stress hormones like cortisol, making it a helpful tool for reducing stress and anxiety.
- It Fights the Signs of Aging: If you reach for an orange when you feel a cold coming on, it’s because you know that citrus fruits are full of vitamin C. The same is true of orange essential oil. Vitamin C helps keep skin protected and supports it in healing faster, helping to keep your complexion looking younger for longer. Even better, orange essential oil is also rich in antioxidants, which can help to fight wrinkles and dark spots and improve the production of collagen.
- It Reduces Inflammation: Orange oil stands among some of the most potent essential oils when it comes to fighting inflammation. This means it may help to relieve discomfort caused by inflammation, including arthritis.
- It Improves Oral Health: Those germ fighting powers we talked about earlier are just as beneficial for your mouth as they are your countertops. Dilute a few drops of orange oil with water and use as you would a mouthwash for a natural way to a healthier mouth.
Orange Essential Oil Contraindications
Orange essential oil is usually well tolerated, but there are a few things to be aware of. First, be careful when going out in direct sunlight after applying this oil, as it can make your skin more sensitive to the sun. If you choose to consume this oil, monitor your intake carefully – large doses can cause nausea and vomiting. If you’re unsure of how much is safe to take, or if you are pregnant or nursing, talk with an expert before consuming this oil. Finally, if you have an allergy to oranges or citrus, this oil isn’t for you.
Using Essential Oil
If you’re interested in trying essential oils, orange oil is a great place to start. It has a multitude of uses, a lovely aroma, and can provide real benefits in your life. I know I love it!
What’s your favorite way to use orange essential oil? Let me know in the comments below.